Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Begin your journey into the mountains at Michibiny. 3 hour acclimatisation hike to Sankaber.
- Meet the wildlife of the Simien Mountains as you trek from Sankaber to Geech.
- Ascend over 4000m as you summit Imet Gogo and Inataye.
- Climb Mount Buahit.
Landmarks visited on 4 Days in the Simiens
A connecting flight from Addis Ababa gets you in to Gondar, where your local guide will be waiting for you. You'll then head towards Michibiny, situated near the entrance of the Simien Mountains National Park. The drive from Gondar to Michibiny is around 2.5 hours.
You'll stop briefly while your guides arrange all the necessary provisions and arrangements for your adventure.
Flight Addis Ababa to Gondar. Drive (2.5 hrs) Gondar to Michibiny. Your journey into the mountains begins with a 3 hour hike to Sankaber, your first camp. The hike is gentle and allows you to acclimatise as you're introduced the sensational views of the Simiens.
You'll spend the night camping at Sankaber.
Today's hike takes you from Sankaber to Geech. En route, you'll likely meet some of the Simien Mountains' famed wildlife, including Gelada Baboons, Klipsringer and Walia Ibex.
A highlight of today’s trek is Genbar Falls, a waterfall over a sobering 500m sheer drop, which you’ll see from the opposite side of the ridge. After a break for lunch, you’ll carry on towards Geech, a remote traditional village with thatched roofs. Geech camp is a great spot to watch the sun go down over the range and you’ll often see troops of Gelada baboons climbing down the precipitous slopes to their sleeping quarters in caves in cliffs below.
Overnight at Geech camp.
Today is a 7-8 hour trek from Geech to Chennek via the incredible Imet Gogo and Inataye. Imet Gogo, standing at nearly 4000m, affords unbelievable panoramic views of the entire Simien range. If that isn't enough, Iantaye stands at a sobering 4070m.
If you can pull yourself away from the views, the remaining trek to Chennek is pleasant. Overnight at Chennek camp.
Mount Buahit is Ethiopia’s third highest peak, standing at an impressive 4430 metre. Your route to Mount Buahit follows footpaths off the road alongside a stream that trickles down the hill. This is quite a steep walk, but you can take regular breaks at great view points en route. This is your best chance to see Walia Ibex.
After summiting Buahit, you'll head back to Chennek camp before being driven to Gondar. From here, you can either catch a flight to Addis Ababa or continue on a longer itinerary. Enquire about this trek if you'd like to include it as part of a larger holiday.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person for 4 pax.
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $660 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
The current total fare for the domestic flight(s) in the itinerary is USD $140 per person when Ethiopian Airlines is used for international flight. Otherwise the fare for the domestic flight(s) in the itinerary is $420 per person. Fares subject to change by airline.
- Airport transfers and road transport by private minibus.
- Full board, including mineral water.
- Full camping equipment including tents, mattresses and sleeping bags for camping and trekking. Recommended to bring own sleeping bag.
- Fees for entrances, local guides, compulsory scouts/ security personnel for activities mentioned in the itinerary.
- All government taxes for the services included in the tour price.
- International flights and visa fees.
- Domestic flights.
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary.
- Fees for photos and video.
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.