Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Explore the clusters of rock-hewn churches.
- Visit Asheton Maryam, carved into the cliff face at an elevation of nearly 4000m.
- Hike through the mountains of Lalibela from Hudad Lodge to a local village.
- Visit Yimrehane Kristos church.
- Stop in at Ben Abeba for dinner over the sunset.
Landmarks visited on Discover Lalibela
Catch a flight from Addis Ababa to Lalibela where your guide will be waiting for you. Spend the afternoon exploring the various clusters of rock-hewn churches. You'll begin with the north-western cluster: Bet Medhane Alem, Bet Maryam, Bet Meskel, and Bet Danaghel. Our fantastic local guides will help you understand the churches historic significance of this World Heritage Site. If you're lucky enough to visit during one of the religious festivals, you'll be a part of something few people ever experience.
Your day starts with an early morning service before visiting the south-eastern cluster of churches: Bet Gabriel-Rufael, Bet Merkorios, Bet Amanual, and Bet Abba Libanos. Finally, visit the most famous of all the churches – Bet Giyorgis. If you've done any research into Lalibela, you'll have seen pictures of Bet Giyorgis. It's the most well preserved of all the churches and is a sure highlight of any visit of Lalibela.
In the afternoon, hike to Hudad Lodge. This hike can take anywhere from 1.5 to 5 hours depending on your starting point. We'll happily make the appropriate arrangements to limit/maximise your hiking time depending on your preferences. En route, visit Asheton Maryam, a church carved into the cliff face at an elevation of nearly 4000m. Spend the afternoon in the hills of Lalibela.
Overnight at Hudad Lodge.
For the ambitious hiker, today affords the opportunity to visit Abuna Yosef Mountains (4260m). This is a full day of hikig (~9 hours) and should not be underestimated. Challenging though it may be, the rewards are well worth it as you soak up the views from over 4000m, You might even be able to spot an endemic Ethiopia wolf. For those less interested in hiking, you can spend the day exploring around the lodge - there's no shortage of smaller hiking routes. Overnight at a local village.
Today you'll hike for around 4-7 hours to Yimrehane Kristos, an under-appreciated gem of Lalibela. In stark contrast to the famous rock-hewn churches, Yimrehane Kristos is built rather than excavated, and is likely to pre-date the rock-hewn churches by nearly a century. The elaborate decoration of the interior is juxtaposed by the mummified bodies that inhabit the caves behind the church.
In the afternoon, your driver will take you back to Lalibela where an evening spent at the breathtaking Ben Abeba is an absolute must.
Flight Lalibela to Addis Ababa. Enquire about this trip if you'd like to include this trip as part of a larger itinerary.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on 2 people travelling together. Prices guideline only, actual price swill depend on final itinerary, accommodation choices, and time of year.
- Domestic flights.
- Airport transfers and road transport by private minibus.
- Accommodation based on double/ twin room sharing.
- Meal plan bed and breakfast. Full board (including mineral water) trekking.
- Fees for entrances and local guides for activities mentioned in the itinerary.
- All government taxes for the services included in the tour price.
- International flights and visa fees.
- Lunches and dinners, unless stated as included above.
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary.
- Fees for photos and video.
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.