Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Spend your first night enjoying the sunset at Lake Asale.
- Discover the colourful landscape of Dallol.
- Hike Erta Ale, home to one just six active lava lakes in the world.
- End your trip with a relaxing swim the hot springs and lake at Afdera.
Landmarks visited on Classic Danakil Tour
Day 1 - The adventure begins
Typical adventures into the Danakil begin at Mekele. From here, you’ll drive to Hamed Ela, where the Danakil Depression ‘begins’. Spend the evening visit Lake Asale to enjoy the sunset and camel caravans crossing the lake.
Day 2 - Dallol
In the morning, visit Ragad (Asebo) where locals mine salt. Continue on to Dallol, which is undoubtedly a highlight of any adventure in the Danakil Depression. Bubbling up amid miniature geysers and steaming conical vents, the Dallol sulphur springs add a kaleidoscope of colour to an otherwise monotone landscape. The Yellow Lake, which is an almost neon highlight, contains bacteria that happily live in sulphuric acid that comes straight from deep within the earth.
Head back to Hamed Ela for lunch before proceeding to Abala.
Day 3 - Erta Ale
In the morning, drive from Abala to Dodom (~4 hours). Have an early dinner around 5PM before starting the ascent at 8PM. Camels will transport all the camping materials and food to the top. Spend the night atop the volcano.
Day 4 - Lake Afdera to Mekele
Enjoy the morning sunrise from atop Erta Ale and visit the north crater. Descend from Erta Ale at around 7AM to reach the base at Dodom for ~9AM. Have breakfast and relax at Dodom before heading on towards Lake Afdera. Have lunch and swim in the lake and hot springs before heading back to Mekele.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person for groups of 4 or more. Solo travellers can join existing groups for the same price.
|Start date||Price (pp)|
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $625
- All Entrance fees and licenses as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Bottles of water for the trip.
- 4WD land cruiser including fuel expense and driver’s allowances.
- English speaking guide.
- Cooking and camping equipment.
- Scout and police service in Afar Region.
- Camel and camel tires in Afar Region.
- International flights and visa fees.
- Domestic flights.
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary.
- Fees for photos and video.
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.